Schedule date for this summer TBA!
Children from divorce are 2x as likely to divorce. Many contributing factors! 66% of the increased risk of divorce is attributed to children living thru the
parental experience of divorce. (Brian D'Onofrio, Indiana University Bloomington).
* 8 to 15% of Divorcing couple s continue to engage in Conflict with little reduction in the intensity of their feelings.
* These extreme cases place great stress on children.
* Parents locked in bitter, entrenched struggles, unable to stay together yet unable to separate emotionally.
* Parents Persistently antagonize, accuse, rage against and attack each other.
* Families of high-conflict divorce usually do not seek help voluntarily.
* Change is difficult for most, but High conflict families it is extra-ordinarily difficult and old patterns of relating are clung to.
* Impact on children devastating, traumatic & extremely stressful!
* The level & Intensity of conflict between parents during marriage is indicative of Post divorce hostility and distress & it is the most significant factor in adjustment following divorce
* Conduct Disorders, Antisocial Behaviors, difficulty with peers & authority figures, depression & academic and achievement problems: are all symptoms children may experience!
* High Intensity fighting is associated with–Insecure attachments and anxiety in infants and toddlers
* Severity of conflicts has the largest, most consistent impact on children’s adjustment, with Intense conflict leading to more Externalizing and Internalizing of emotions and behaviors
* Overtly Hostile styles : Violent, hitting etc, leads to externalizing and internalizing behavior of children where more passive aggressive behavior of parents leads to internalizing symptoms of child).